Antioch University Seattle
Sunday, June 23, 2013
at 1 p.m.
Venue: The Westin Hotel
in downtown Seattle
For questions concerning Commencement, email us at email@example.com or call 206-268-4113.
For questions regarding degree completion: Contact the Registrar’s office: 206-268-4772.
Required Steps for Participating in Commencement
All participants in June’s Commencement Ceremony must do the following:
- Let us know you plan to participate by filling out and submitting an RSVP form between April 1, and May 20, 2013.
Click here to RSVP.
- Seating in this venue will be limited and all guests will need a ticket. You will request the number of tickets you would like for your guests on the RSVP form.
- Make sure you fill out your Application for Graduation at the Registrar’s office in the quarter you graduate. Note that graduation is not the same thing as the Commencement Ceremony! Please contact the Registrar’s Office if you have questions about degree completion, at 206-268-4772.
- If you are planning to graduate in Summer quarter 2013, and wish to participate in the June 2013 Commencement Ceremony (which occurs at the end of Spring quarter), you must receive your department’s and adviser’s permission. Contact your academic program’s Commencement representative for details (see below). Please do this as soon as possible during Spring quarter, in order to receive all the information about Commencement. The departmental contact people are as follows:
BA in Liberal Studies Program: Ingrid Ingerson
Center for Creative Change: Lisa Brawn
School of Psychology, PsyD program: Ulysses Zenon
School of Education: Aimee Bullock
Optional Steps for Commencement Participants
Cap and Gown
Antioch University Seattle does not require Commencement Ceremony participants to wear traditional academic regalia, but most of our graduates choose to do so.
You can borrow a set from a friend, check with Suzy Knutson in the Institutional Advancement office about borrowing a set from the limited supply of loaner regalia, or you can order your own set from our vendor Jostens. Be aware that the color of the hood that master’s and doctoral grads wear in our ceremony is determined by their degree and discipline of study, as well as AUS tradition. Please see the section on hood colors, below, for more details.
Some of our graduates choose to personalize their regalia according to cultural custom or their imaginations. We embrace this personalization but also urge ceremony participants to realize that this is a special day for all of the grads – please be considerate of others and make sure your garb is in good taste, and reflects the honor and dignity of the university and the academic traditions it represents.
- The flyer about academic regalia available for purchase through our vendor, Jostens is available to download by clicking here.
- AUS students can visit a customized section of the Jostens website for order information. Please note that the deadline for online ordering of academic regalia is May 8th. After May 8th, you may still be able to order regalia but you’ll need to call Jostens: 1-800-854-7464. A $10 late fee will apply. Your Commencement attire will be mailed directly to your home.
- AUS does not provide graduates with invitations for their guests through Jostens. If you would like to send an announcement to friends, colleagues, and family members, you may order them through Jostens, but these are not invitations to the ceremony.
Master’s and doctoral graduates’ regalia will include a hood with two colors: one representing the student’s degree, the other our school color. If you order regalia from our vendor Jostens, the website order form (or representative on the phone) will ask you about your degree and automatically select the correct colors for you. In case you are borrowing regalia, or are curious what your colors will be, please see the list below.
The trim color (school color) for Antioch University Seattle is green. The main hood color, representing your discipline of study in accordance with AUS tradition:
MA in Education (with or without Teacher Preparation): Light Blue
MA in Environment and Community: Gold
MS in Management and Leadership: Drab
MA in Communication: Crimson
MA in Organizational Development: Maroon
MA in Whole Systems Design: Lilac
MA or PsyD in Psychology: White
Statement of Appreciation:
If you choose, you may submit a brief Statement of Appreciation to be included in the printed Commencement Program, thanking your family, friends, faculty members, fellow students, or others who have been important in your journey at AUS. Please e-mail your statement by May 21st to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, please write your name and “S of A.”You must limit your statement to a maximum of 75 words. We will not be able to include longer statements in the program.
Photographs of the Graduates:
A professional photographer will take a picture of each graduate crossing the stage and receiving his or her degree from President Cassandra Manuelito-Kerkvliet. Ordering prints of this photograph is optional.